Pages

Tuesday, July 15, 2014

A Toast for Tacos.... Plus, Hamptons Hostility 2014!

For those who know me, thanks for your well wishes.   Sorry the blog takes a back seat to life but that's the way the cookie crumbles.    So now that let's get back to the "Chatter."

Well traffic is terrible, temperatures and tempers are rising and the Hamptons is now entering into what I affectionally call "Seasonus Horribus."  But while some folks find this time of year a bit challenging others relish in the chaos.      Yes, there are folks who miss the city and are pining away... and not the kind with sap... for a little hostility and confrontation.   Yes, it's the 2014 edition of Hamptons Hostility!!!   The top 5 places where you can be as nasty as you want to be and where a middle finger is just another way of saying hello!  So here in my humble opinion, are the top five nastiest locations for this year....

1) 7-11 Manorville -  While technically not in the Hamptons, it's definitely a ritual stop for more than a few city dwellers on their way out east.   My experience involved the doubling of coffee cups and the managers instance that I pay and additional $0.50!  "But sir, the sleeve doesn't prevent the cup from getting crushed in the cars cup holder."   So, while the manager didn't care for my explanation and threw me more attitude than Lizzy Grubman in a parking lot (you would have thought I dropped a 2 gallon Big Gulp on the floor) I left both cups on his counter.   Fifty cents for an extra cup, really?!  That is extortion in my opinion and not nice.   I'm now doing my stops at the Cumberland Farms.

2) The intersection of CR39A and Rt 27! - The place where allowing a car to merge in front of you is as welcome as a root canal or IRS audit!  It's also totally racist where German sedans have no tolerance for American hybrids or trucks (and vice versa).    I could tell you the way to avoid this area but why would I want to ruin my good thing!!!

Yes, I know this is the one in Riverhead!
3) CVS Pharmacy (Southampton & East Hampton) - It's the Motor Vehicles of pharmacies!   While I have no complaints about the general staff, you know the human cashiers etc.   The pharmacy has long lines and an indifferent staff that really gets annoyed with questions.   But if that wasn't enough,  try to deal with their automated phone system!   Lord help you if you need an Epi pen in a hurry!


4) Cavinola's Cheese Shop (Sag Harbor)- Yes, apparently Ina Garten thinks this shop is the big cheese..  but I think it's more tres fromage! The selection is actually extensive and good but please don't dare question the prices.  When I made the mistake of grimacing at one particular price, I got an annoyed response of "then don't buy it."   Wow, that was nice!  So guess what... I didn't .....and that cheese stood alone!   I then took a quick trip to Schivoni's who also has a great selection for a fraction of the price!    I mean, I shop at Round Swamp Farm so I'm not afraid of prices but at least be friendly!  What do I need to bring a camera crew!?


5) Nick & Toni's (the bar) - This is not about the restaurant or the employees.  It's about the patrons who sit at the bar.   If you spend any time in the Hamptons there are going to be nights when nobody is around and you want to go out and mingle and have some dinner.  Well if you're sitting at the bar at N&T's bring a book.     The atmosphere there is so chilly you'll feel like a Kardashian walking into the  Maidstone Club.  But hey, sometimes you wanna go where (signing the "Cheers" theme) "nobody wants to know your name.

Honorable Mention:  Rushmeyer's in Montauk.   The perfect place to hang if you're going out on daddy's credit card.     It's like "Logan's Run" meets the Hamptons.

I've been whining with my Sancerre for years now about the state of Mexican cuisine here in the Hamptons.      While we still don't have a decent sit down restaurant (yes, I revisited Blue Parrot one more time, it was awful and expensive -$20 burrito with what I'm pretty sure was microwaved chicken) that serves a full south of the border menu we do have another entry into the good... actually really good food to go category.   Formerly of the Wainscott Seafood shop, chef Peter Ambrose has taken his successful Endless Summer brand and opened a new taco shop at the home of the former "Food and Co."       
"Pete's Endless Summer Taco Shop" is a welcome addition to east end cuisine.    The menu which features his famous fish tacos, along with such delicacies as braised duck, nori brined applewood barbecue chicken (which blew me away... really good) and vegan selections is fairly basic but full of gourmet varieties of the Mexican treats.    There are no fajitas or burritos on the menus but there's plenty here to choose from and at a really reasonable prices, especially for the Hamptons.     Prices start at $5 per taco or 3 for $13-$16 and make this easy to go down.   Fries, salads, fresh guacamole and home made grilled tomato salsa are also available.    If you want more information go to www.peterambrose.com or call them at 631-527-5515.    Pete's Endless Taco Shop is located at 283 Pantigo Road, East Hampton.   Also make sure to try the deserts from Jennifer Corzzo... delicious!




No comments: