Pages

Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Hamptons Multiplicity.... Directions Appreciated! Plus, Annie Hall Hits the Hamptons!

When I first moved out here, I lived on Three Mile Harbor Rd. in East Hampton, I mean Drive... actually it was Road!  Well that is exactly my point.   There's a song by U2 called "Where the Streets Have No Name" but I sing a different tune here in the Hamptons.   It's called where the "Where the Streets are Named Same!"  

This particular problem was such a dilemma at my old house, Amazon Packages went to the address on Three Mile Harbor Drive and the group house there enjoyed my dvd copies of "Super Size Me" and the Star Wars box set!   It also was the cause of me nearly hitting a 4 ton boulder when a delivery meant for Drive ended up at my house on the Road and I plowed down my flag lot going 40 miles an hour (yes, too fast I know).    It also was also responsible for one of the greatest surprise of my life..... a new BMW convertible.    It was also a huge disappointment when said convertible was quickly picked up for the charity event on Three Mile Harbor Hog Creek (all true).    Doesn't everybody want to live on a road called Hog Creek?   I mean its almost as glamorous as saying I live on Swamp Road with my own cement pond.  

I know addresses for a living and even I find it confusing.  So while giggling about the drunken visitors with cab drivers that need a good two hours to make it from Bobby Van's to their rented house on Hildreth ("no, it's the one with cedar shingles and a pool in the backyard!"),  I started thinking, what are some of the most confusing addresses on the East End?     So, consulting my HC board of distrustees I threw the question out, "what are some of the most confusing common street names in the Hamptons?"    While I'm here to give you the results of my inquiry, let me first say if you live on a street named after a tree, you're already screwed.  Also, if you're going to any location in the Hamptons, make sure you get some cross streets for your GPS.  Because if you try calling from the car, odds are you won't get a cell signal anyway!  So here they are in no way a thorough or scientific analysis; the more confusing addresses/street locations in the Hamptons where if you are hosting a party there.... give directions!

THE TREE STREETS:  Oak -17 Streets in Southampton and 7 in East Hampton, Cedar - (including Points, Views etch) 18 streets in Southampton and 6 in East Hampton, Pine - 23 in Southampton and 4 in East Hampton.

THE OLD FAMILY STREETS: Hildreth - (not including the stores) 9 streets in Southampton and 2 in East Hampton.    Halsey -10 in Southampton and 0 in East Hampton (I guess they couldn't get a table at the old Della Femina) and Gardners - 4 in Southampton and 5 in East Hampton.   Luckily there are only one Tony Tiska's Path and Uncle Leo's Lane in all the Hamptons.

THE WATER STREETS: Bay - 24 in Southampton including the views and 12 in East Hampton, Ocean - 9 in Southampton and 8 in East Hampton, Beach - 8 in Southampton and 7 in East Hampton.

THE LOCATIONS: Middle - 5 in Southampton and 3 in East Hampton, Northwest - 1 in Southampton and 3 in East Hampton, Main - 3 in Southampton and 5 in East Hampton.

My suggestion for each town is to sell off the duplicate street names to corporate sponsors and lower our taxes.   But please for goodness sake, I will never live on Walmart or Chick-fil-A Boulevards!

My Autographed Coy!!!
Finally, some good celebrity news on the East End.   Sources tell me actress Diane Keaton's recent book signing at BookHampton was a smashing success!  Not only did the actress stay and sign every copy of "Let's Just Say it Wasn't Pretty," she was also hugging and posing for photos and laughing it up with the fans and staff of the store.    I never met Diane Keaton but always wanted to get the chance.   It's so nice to hear about somebody so accomplished taking time to say hello to the average Joes.... If you can call Hamptons residents "average Joes."  

No comments: