Pages

Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Sometimes it feels a little backwards... but thank goodness for these 5 in 2011!

I was thinking back to last year and some of the happenings in the Hamptons, and I found myself dividing them into some of the best and worst moves on the east end (no, this has nothing to do with dancing). It was interesting to think about it...and as I did a recent incident kept coming to mind. While in Manhattan last week I met a former East End resident who referred to living out here like living in "Hooterville." While I laughed, I have to disagree, there are enough good things going on out here to make us feel more like "Petticoat Junction!"

#5 - HARBORFROST - Kudos to Sag Harbor resident Benito Villa for picking up the stick so many have dropped before and putting together something to brighten the dull month of February in the Hamptons! From ice sculpting to fireworks and the Polar Bear Plunge, Sag Harbor was the place to be for that chilly wet weekend. Shops and restaurants were packed and it gave us all a little fun to go outdoors during those dark days of winter. If only they turned that PB Plunge into a hard bodies PB plunge, now that would be a ton more fun to watch. Yes, I know I couldn't be included in that!

#4 LT Burger - Finally a good burger joint with great shakes and no attitude opens in the Hamptons. Restaurateur and chef Laurent Tourondel, who is behind some of the most successful steak joints in the country went

out on his own and opened this new Sag Harbor favorite. It proves once again, if you know what you're doing in the Hamptons they will come and find you! Hint to that other burger place, maybe you should have actually had restaurant experience!

#3 K-Mart's MYGOFER.COM - While I never in my life ever thought I would be such a fan of K-Mart, I have to say their GOFER.COM is a god send on those busy summer weekends. It's a simple as going to their website and ordering what you need online. Then VIOLA! It arrives at your doorstep, presto agitato! So to me, KMART does not suck! Take that Mr. Rain Man!

#2 East Hampton Patch - www.easthampton.patch.com - Editor Taylor Vecsey has put together a smart, well organized and informative website for the Hamptons! It's one of the few I regularly read and my favorite website.... well next to this clever blog of course!

#1 The East Hampton Grill - What LT Burger understood and made them successful, the EH Grill/Hillstone group brought to a whole other level. If you serve people good food, with great service in a comfortable setting, they will wait and deal with pushy crowds to eat there! Since the day they opened and even now in December, it's the hardest reservation to get in the

Hamptons. But unlike some other "hamptons hot spots," you don't have to grease the staff to get a table or friendly service. My only complaint is they don't have the company signature dish of Spinach Dip at this location. Although that may now be a good thing, I want to be able to wear a Speedo at this year's HarborFrost Polar Bear Plunge!

OK those are my top 5 for the Hamptons this 2011! Tomorrow it's the five biggest mistakes from the past year! Yeah, I know this blog should be one of them

No comments: