Pages

Sunday, July 19, 2009

The Hamptons get a topless bar!!!



Did I say topless? I meant tapas.. sorry. The old Allison on School Street just got a make over with a latin flair. COPA is the newest restaurant to enter into the Hamptons food derby.

I managed to make it in there last Friday night. The bar crowd was a bit Bobby Van's-ish, which means lots of botox and overpriced watches but it was pretty hopping. The layout of the restaurant was impressive, a center zinc topped bar surrounded by dining. I had the meatballs, fried zucchini fritters with dill yogurt sauce, salmon satay, tomato flat bread and a greek salad. The food was amazing and the service was terrific too. THIS, ON THE SECOND NIGHT OF BUSINESS IS A HUGE ACHIEVEMENT. The price was about $50-60 per person including drinks. While this might seem pricey considering the small plates but I walked away full and this is the Hamptons.

Copa is located 95 School Street, Bridgehampton. I don't know if they take reservations but it can't hurt to call... 631 613-6469

The only negative comment I have!? They may have a hard time explaining the menu to some of the clueless. Walking out of the restaurant a patron remarked to me, "it was terrific but it got annoying having to order all of those little dishes." TRUE COMMENT!

Finally a warning for anyone going to the 7-11 in Southampton... the coffee is more expensive than you think!!! On the way back from a recent expedition into the city I decided to stop by and get a cup of coffee. As I reached into my pocket to get a couple bucks, I dropped a $10 bill on the floor. Ask anyone who knows me, I always crumple up my money and have been known to lay it around the office or house like a trail of breadcrumbs out of the woods. Anyway, as I went to reach for the money, the manager reached down and grabbed the bill. Did he hand it to me?!?! NO! I said to him, I dropped that just now! He remarked, "no you didn't... that's been there for a long time." Yeah, 10 dollars was sitting on the floor of 7-11 for more than 20 seconds unclaimed. True story!!!

No comments: