Pages

Thursday, August 6, 2015

THEY HAD US AT MERLOT! WOLFFER KITCHEN AND GREY GARDENS AT BAY STREET!

So, it's been one of those mornings but here I am anyway.  Without going into details, I went to brush my teeth this morning and instead I ended up well lets just say, I doubt I'll have inflammation on my gums today.   But before I digress, I'm ready to recap the glorious life of the glamorous and irritated on the East End.

So, last night I had the chance to visit the highly anticipated Wolffer Kitchen in Sag Harbor.   So here's the good news and the bad news.  The good news is it's pretty good.   The bad news is it should have been better.    Since it's the first foray into food for the local vineyard, I'll give them time to let this potentially fine dine breath.   Located at 29 Main Street in the village, the restaurant opens with a series of folding doors that open up and make it a great place to dine and watch the world go by.    The menu on the other hand is a little more closed with a smaller selection of options.  The wine menu on the other hand is rather extensive and features of course Wolffer wines, numerous imports and this in addition to a few local vineyards including Bedell.

The service as I sat for dinner last night was on their game from start to finish.   I started my dinner with a small Greek salad which was absolutely fantastic, a perfect size with a delicate blend of feta, olives and greens.   Oh my god, do I now sound like a food critic? I have to stop!  Anyway, for an entree I had fresh tuna grilled over pasta which was nice and light but a little too light on flavor.    My dining companion (who you can figure out) had a vegetable platter with I believe some fava beans and he thought it was awesome.   Perhaps the comment that I'm more "suited for heavier flavors", i.e. bolognese is my favorite should be taken into account.   So what I'm saying is I liked Wolffer Kitchen, I just wasnt' crazy about it.   Perhaps I'll hit it up again once they get more time under their belt but I have no doubt it's going to get better!  Wolffer Kitchen is open daily at 5:30pm and takes reservations on their facebook page or by calling 631-725-0101.
Betty Buckley and Rachel York... The Edies.

I also had a chance to head over to Bay Street Theater last night and catch a performance of the musical "Grey Gardens."   If you don't already know the story, shame on you and go directly to Fire Island.  You should know the story!   But anyway, it stars Broadway veterans Betty Buckley and Rachael York as the highly entertaining and dysfunctional society duo.   This is the show that Bay Street was born to perform!    I know tickets are going fast so if you're thinking of going to see it, get your tickets now! It's a great show with great performers and a really enjoyable way to spend your evening in Sag Harbor.  It would be an even better night if you call me first and make an offer on the actual Grey Gardens... not that it's currently for sale but it's the Hamptons and you never know!


I'm sorry today's blog was like a review section from Junior Highlights,,, but hey, it's mine and I write what I want to write!




No comments: