Pages

Wednesday, June 3, 2015

HATE CROWDS? NO RESERVATIONS?! NO PROBLEM!! A QUICK GUIDE TO HAMPTONS DELIVERY!

One of the things I like least about summer in the Hamptons is the crowds.   While I'm not an agoraphobic, the idea of dealing with traffic and pushy patrons is sometimes more than I can handle. Besides, I get extreme guilt leaving my dogs behind... because they like to party as much as the next animal.  So, unlike NYC where you can have a cup of coffee delivered for free, finding door to door service out east is a little more difficult.   Virtually nobody delivers in the Hamptons. I know White's Pharmacy delivers... but cough drops and Metamucil don't quite satisfy my hunger like they should.   What do you do when your cupboards are bare, traffic is backed up and everybody is hungry?   Well, here's the skinny on getting chubby without leaving home.....


There are two.. repeat only TWO Chinese restaurants that I think are worth the weight in MSG. Number 1 (631-726-8080) in Water Mill and Pheonix in Wainscott (631-537-0011).    There are a few others in the area but one of them actually has Immodium on the menu which to me is a big red flag...OK I'm kidding.   While my two recommendations aren't exactly Shun Lee or Mr. Chow's, they're both good, hearty and reasonably priced.  My personal favorites are the "scallion pancakes" at Pheonix and the "spicy chicken and broccoli" at #1.    Both are the best Chinese delivery in the HAMPTONS!  Although, that's kind of like saying it's the friendliest restaurant in France.


When it' comes to Pizza. There are no Domino's in the Hamptons. Which is a good thing. But darn it, why is it so hard to get a pizza brought to your door on a rainy Saturday night!?   Well there are only a few choices for delivery pizza at a good price.  In Montauk, you have Sausages (631-668-1144) .. In Bridgehampton there's American Pie (631-613-6177) in the Commons and Southampton has Paul's (631-283-1861) and Melrose East.   In East Hampton you have Pizza and Things Spring's Pizza. Customers like it for their reasonable prices, friendly staff and fresh ingredients (631) 324-7974.

Also in East Hampton, the Red Horse Market will deliver groceries or prepared foods with a $100 minimum purchase.  I'm pretty sure you can get them to bring one of their pizzas to the door as well.  By the way, throw a fresh mozzarella in there for good measure and melt some extra on the pie.

If you're looking for something a little more exotic you can try Saaz in Southampton.    They deliver and according to some, they'll go all the way to East Hampton.    That's a good thing too since the New York Times raved the food is "uniformly excellent... a long overdue addition to Hamptons dining."     Saaz - (631) 259-2222 - is located just as you come into Southampton on CR 39 at the former site of Mason Ole  - where Montezuma always got his revenge!      Saaz is a much better welcome to the east end!


While I'm sure there are others that may deliver, this is the list I came up with based on my own personal experience and those I know around town.    

No comments: