Pages

Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Hello sweeties!!!

So I've been in the Hamptons full time now for about 6 years and I'm still sane. While there are some things I don't miss at all about NYC, the noise, the traffic and Time Warner Cable ("we'll be there sometime between 8am and 6pm"). One thing I do miss is a good cupcake. I used to live down the street from SOUTINE bakery on W.70th and every now and then would stop by for one of their buttery creamy treats. While they were good, my favorites were always CRUMBS and CUPCAKE CAFE.

Now, I know there is a debate raging about MAGNOLIA BAKERY vs. CUPCAKE CAFE but to me it's no contest. I prefer buttery over super sugary sweet and CUPCAKE CAFE is the winner. Now, my dilemma... there is no debate over cupcakes going on in the Hamptons there are only two choices. Citarella and Mary's Marvelous. Yes, there are some from CRUMBS in the city available at Scoop Du Jour but only on weekends and I'm a full-time purist folks!!! But let's not get off track here!!!

Citarella's aren't bad, they're actually pretty good but they're not in the same league as the ones from MARY'S MARVELOUS in Amagansett!!! Mary's cupcakes are the best in town now.... this because Ina Garten shuttered the BAREFOOT CONTESSA a few years ago! But you know Mary's hold their own. Her coconut cupcakes are my favorite and just as good as Ina's were back in the day! Now I know Ina now sells here mixes at the grocery store but these confections are always awful! but that's not Ina's fault, I cant cook even with a mix!

In short Mary's cupcakes are indeed MARVELOUS!!! So are her Scones and most everything else in the shop as well. So why am I thinking about cupcakes? Because I'm trying to cut out the carbs and cupcakes are all I can think of! Oh and my cousin Eileen's home made sticky buns!!! Hello Jenny Craig!

No comments: