Pages

Thursday, November 5, 2015

A SUPER SUPERMARKET! PLUS, WHERE'S THE "CAN" FROM OUT "CANDIDATES?" YEAH, I KNOW THIS HEADLINE IS TERRIBLE!

No longer just coming soon.. now arrived!
Sometimes my inspiration for this blog comes from the strangest of places.   This particular posting is coming from a very unlikely muse, Marilyn Hegerty who is the restaurant reviewer at the Grand Forks Herald in North Dakota.   At 85 years old she became an internet sensation with her earnest and insightful review of The Olive Garden which burst onto the Grand Forks culinary scene late last year.    So, if Marilyn can review The Olive Garden why can't I review the latest entry into the East Hampton scene?You got it, I'm talking about the new Stop and Shop Supermarket on Newtown Lane.*  

(*could also be substituted with the Stop and Shop nee Walbaum's in Southampton)

After a lengthy wait for Stop and Shop to open in East Hampton*, the moment has finally arrived.  My visit occurred the other day on a busy Tuesday afternoon.    After a long day at the office, I figured a late shopping excursion would be both fashionable and just what the doctor ordered.   Apparently my doctor thinks shopping is good for me.   

The parking lot was bustling with eager patrons as I arrived and while there were limited spaces.   Luckily,  the flow in and out of the store was so constant that it was only a few mere moments before I was able to find an ample space of my very own.   I could feel the excitement as I approached the SELF OPENING front doors that where both swift and convenient for a distracted shopper.     

I was greeted as I entered into the market by smiling and friendly employees who were smartly dressed in purple and dark blue uniforms surrounded by lush, opulent and tempting looking produce. The lighting was bright and cheery and the aisles were clean and spotless, a definite improvement over the old Walbaum's.   I asked one of the managers if they had any gluten free pasta to which he cheerfully responded, "of course in our new organics section!"   They have an or
ganics section!  I then knew I made the right choice to give this Stop and Shop a chance! 

Finally with my pasta in hand I made my way to the check out aisles.   It was a pleasant surprise for me to now find many aisles opened with real human cashiers, also smartly dressed in purple with blue aprons.    The line was fast moving and the staff also told me about the savings I could receive if I filled out a form for a "preferred customer card."   How lovely... I'm preferred and they just met me!

All in all, it's the largest and best lit super market now operating in East Hampton.   It attracts vistors from out of town as well as people who live in East Hampton.    It's a welcome addition to the community and will hopefully get better as they learn the preferences of the community.  So I have to heartily recommend Stop and Shop for your grocery shopping in our humble little hamlet. 


Generic election sign .. so I don't make and MORE enemies!
Speaking of our little hamlet, the election is finally over!   Now, I know it's never a good idea to discuss politics I think it's fair to express my general outrage over the littering.... and I do mean littering of signs everywhere. People always complain about real estate signs but these paper ones are wayyyyy worse.  Besides we can put the same sign every two feet!   If it were up to me, I would actually fine the candidates $10.00 for every sign they leave out after today.   Its bad enough my mailbox was full... and I mean full... like
more stuffed than if Frontgate, Orvis and Restoration Hardware both did  a double mailing for Christmas.  Oh the trees that had to die for such negative and prolific propaganda!   I'm glad it's over and I now have room for my catalogs!


No comments: