Pages

Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Southamptons is getting a little more social!!! And one of my greatest Hamptons discoveries ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well by now we all know the tales of Ed (Jean Luc) Kleefeld... his restaurants JL East, JL Bistro, Madame Tong's and Prime 103 and their lasting legacy of cobwebs and unused commerical space. Well 2011 is a very good year for former some of the best old "JL" properties.

First, Michael Gluckman and his management team including Rory Boothby successfully launched "The Beach House" last

week. A sort of spin off to their already successful "Boat House" off Three Mile Harbor. It was the opening of the year so far when they toasted Cinco De Mayo last Thursday! The cars were lined up and down Montauk Highway and of course our local men in blue were there to issue tickets. Yes, tis the season! It was wall to wall people there to see the new and improved space that was once PRIME 103 and JL East. The new menu gets a big thumbs up for some real crowd pleasing dishes (as opposed to the impossible menu at Southfork Kitchen) and the prices that won't make your eyes pop. I'll have more about their food and plans for events at "The Beach House" later this week... today's blog is about the real estate. But one last word, KUDOS for the best opening night of the year goes to "The Beach House."

Now for the property formerly known as Madame Tong's. With one of the best backyards of any restaurant in the Hamptons, it only makes sense that the building would once again host

a hybrid Restaurant/Club. It's alleged that is exactly what will be the case with the new establishment "The New York Social Club." According to sources the menu will be more American fair that will morph into a club scene after the dinner hours. I don't know who the new owners are but I'm told they're well known NYC club/restaurant owners. Look for more details in then next few days and an opening sometime in late May.

And lastly... according to CURBED.COM, Astoria's Pomme Café is opening a at the old JLX in Sag Harbor. To many it's better known as that doomed corner where numerous restaurants have flopped, including La Maison, JLX-Bistro, and Peter Miller's. I apologize for my earlier blog... where I said La Maison is back... but that's what the "manager" guy told me.

Now, we all see those free magazines tossed in the lobbies of restaurants, banks and real estate offices all over the Hamptons. Well last week my friend picked up an old copy of Edible East End which was sitting around the house and told me about a small Mexican Deli in Southampton, which features authentic homemade specialties. Well as anybody who reads this blog knows, I LOVE MEXICAN FOOD. I've been on a quest to find a good restaurant that serves it.... and while it's not a restaurant the De Jesus Deli on County Rd. 39 next to PC Richard's is a HOME RUN! If I were Blue Parrot I would buy my tamales from this little shop on the Highway and serve them. They're AWESOME and some of the best I've ever had. Burritos for rock bottom prices, home made salsas and more are also available. This is an unknown find in the Hamptons. In fact, I went to a Mother's Day party on Sunday and brought along some vegetable and Pork Tamales, they were the hit of the party. Ok, enough writing... I'm hungry now. It's time for lunch.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Remember The Big Lebowski: "Nobody f--ks with de Jesus." Rule.