Pages

Wednesday, July 15, 2009

UGGGGH! I've been busy but I have some rental stories from hell!!


Sorry, I haven't been around lately. I was busy doing this and doing that and I had a house full of Canadian Guests!!! They fly south every summer and stay for a weekend and usually bring good gifts... much easier than Canadian Geese!

Anyway, I've been talking to a few friends and myself included and here are a few rental stories from the war zone!

A couple has rented a 10,000 square foot house south of the highway called the land lord and started berating him!! Why?!?! Because there was NO TOASTER! Let's just put it this way, the rental was well over $100k for A MONTH... and they're pissed about a toaster!!! When my friend the landlord stated that indeed there was a toaster over in the kitchen, the horrified response from the renter was "Are you kidding, EVERYONE knows there's a difference in how toast tastes from a toaster oven!"

Hmmmmmm... ok. On to the next. Things are a little slow in the purchase department lately although it IS picking up. None the less, some top agents are still taking out folks looking to rent...even short term. I recently had one who was looking at rentals up to $80,000 for July and August. When they finally found a house, where do you think they came in at?! Yup, $25,000! The landlord was gracious and declined the blue light special to his house. His comment, "I won't travel and I'll just stay home."

Another story from the NW Woods where a house was infested with wood ants. Just imagine the horror of the agent who showed the house which was asking for $18,000 for the month of August, only to find piles of wood shavings all over the house and on top of mirrors and dressers (apparently that's what happens with wood ants. When the agent apologized for showing the house in the current condition, the potential renters said, "I'll take it but I want a bigger discount!"

A story from East Hampton, a tenant rents a house with a heated pool. The pool is heated by propane which comes in tanks and is delivered on an automatic basis. Well as everyone knows the weather has been a bit chilly lately. Well guess what happens when you run your pool gas heater all week?! It runs out of gas!!! Now the tenant who calls on Saturday is angry because she has a pool party for her 7 year old on Sunday afternoon...and the kids will have to swim in a cold pool! "You need to do something," she yells at the landlord. Who actually can't do anything... as anyone who has ever called Pulver gas on a Saturday afternoon can tell you! Anyway, enough for today, I have to get back to work. I promise I'm back!!

No comments: